Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 102 Zena nagaromu and hymns
TitleZena nagaromu and hymns
Call numberLJS 102
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5964763
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1900 and 1925
Account of Creation by the Trinity (Zena nagaromu, f. 1r), followed by hymns (f. 20v, 29v, 38r, 47v, 60r, 85v). Notes added in a different hand in the top margin (indications of day of the week for readings) and at the end of some hymns (f. 38v, 59v); some erased rubrics supplied in blue ink by a modern hand (for example, f. 31r, 40v, 51v, 85v). In addition to the brown thread markers in the upper outer corners of 3 illuminations (f. 36r, 71r, 100r), 2 leaves have a bit of magenta fiber threaded through their side margins (f. 76, 85), which may have served as another form of finding tab.
Extent100 leaves : 135 x 102 (83 x 80) mm. bound to 140 x 115 mm
CollationParchment, iv + 100 + iv; 1-10¹⁰.
Binding20th-century wood boards with exposed spine.
LayoutWritten in 2 columns of 14 lines; ruled in drypoint with vertical bounding lines; prickings visible on most leaves.
4 full-page paintings on erased pages, of the Virgin and Child with archangels Michael and Gabriel (f. 2r); the Crucifixion with Mary and John (f. 36r); Saint George and the dragon (f. 71r); and Christ and the Virgin in majesty (f. 100r), all but the first with thread markers on the upper outer corners of their leaves. Rubrication in red, with twin pairs of red lines separated by 2 or 3 black lines at the beginning of each hymn and significant words in red; rough decorative border (harag) in black and red at the top of the page at the beginning of 2 hymns (f. 1r, 38r).
ScriptWritten in räqiq script.
- Possible ownership stamp in purple ink (f. 85v); possible ownership inscription in the same blue ink as supplied rubrics (f. iv verso).
- Sold in Cape Town, South Africa, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, April 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Hymns, Ethiopic
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Ethiopian--Specimens
- Trinity--Prayers and devotions
- Manuscripts, Ethiopic--20th century
- Manuscripts, Digital
- Finding tabs
- fol. 1r — Decorated border, f. 1r
- fol. 2r — Miniature, Virgin and Child with archangels Michael and Gabriel, f. 2r
- fol. 36r — Miniature, Crucifixion with Mary and John, f. 36r
- fol. 38r — Decorated border, f. 38r
- fol. 71r — Miniature, Saint George and the dragon, f. 71r
- fol. 100r — Miniature, Christ and the Virgin in majesty, f. 100r
Inside front cover
0114_0001.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
0114_0001_web.jpg (336.7 KB)
0114_0010.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0010_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0114_0010_web.jpg (369.8 KB)
Decoration: Decorated border, f. 1r
0114_0012.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0012_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0114_0012_web.jpg (266.1 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Virgin and Child with archangels Michael and Gabriel, f. 2r
0114_0080.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0080_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0114_0080_web.jpg (261.9 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Crucifixion with Mary and John, f. 36r
0114_0084.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0084_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0114_0084_web.jpg (314.1 KB)
Decoration: Decorated border, f. 38r
0114_0150.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0150_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
0114_0150_web.jpg (288.6 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Saint George and the dragon, f. 71r
0114_0208.tif (16.9 MB)
0114_0208_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
0114_0208_web.jpg (264.3 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, Christ and the Virgin in majesty, f. 100r