Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 119 Manuscript leaf from a collection of papal decretals
TitleManuscript leaf from a collection of papal decretals
- Catholic Church
- Catholic Church. Pope (1159-1181 : Alexander III)
- Catholic Church. Pope (1181-1185 : Lucius III)
- Catholic Church. Pope (1185-1187 : Urban III)
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 119
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9949967773503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Part of a leaf, used in a binding, of a canon law manuscript, containing papal decretals of Lucius III, Alexander III, and Urbanus III. The manuscript, written in a Gothic script in France in the 14th century, was written in 2 columns of 46 lines, surrounded by 2 columns of commentary. This fragment shows the outer column of main text and most of the outer column of commentary, with the rubrics De sententia et re iudicata on the recto and Iure iurando on the verso in the main text. 2 decretals on the recto are listed in Jaffé's Regesta pontificum Romanorum (Quia indicante abbate Cessano monasterii Sancti Petri, v. 2, no. 14106; Dilecti filii nostri abbas et fratres monasterii Sancti Ebulsi, v. 2, no. 13729). 3-line initials at the beginning of the decretals alternate between red with blue filigree and blue with red filigree; 1-line initials for the popes cited alternate between red and blue.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 210 x 116 mm
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Canon law--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library LJS 119: Manuscript leaf from a collection of papal decretals are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.