Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 16 Speculum historiale, Books 25-28
TitleSpeculum historiale, Books 25-28
- Vincent, of Beauvais, d. 1264
Other related names
- Libri, Guillaume, 1803-1869, former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Creswick, H. R., 1902-1988, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 16
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949282643503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- ca. 1400
A volume, probably the third from a set of three, comprising Books 25 to 28 of the Speculum historiale of Vincent of Beauvais. The volume is incomplete, breaking off at the beginning of Chapter 80 of Book 28, although the table of contents for Book 28 lists 102 chapters (f. 148r-148v) and the Speculum historiale when complete runs to 32 books.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- A detached leaf from Book 29 (LJS 124) is laid in the back of the manuscript.
Extent176 leaves : 370 x 255 (254 x 155) mm. bound to 381 x 275 mm
CollationParchment, i (modern parchment) + 176 + i (modern parchment); 1² 2-13⁸ 14⁸(-1) 15-19⁸ 20⁸(-1) 21-223⁸; [1-102, 104-148, 150-178]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto, with 2 pages cut out (f. 103, f. 149) included in count. Signatures sometimes visible or partly visible in red ink, lower right recto. Catchwords on the last leaf of each gathering, lower left verso.
Binding20th-century morocco, title gilt, by Douglas Cockerell & Son, 1980.
4 6- to 8-line puzzle initials in blue and burnished gold with elaborate penwork infill and surround in dark blue and red and with full-length bar borders decorated with half fleurs-de-lis in blue and gold and with penwork (f. 1v, 3r, 45r, 148r); 2-line chapter initials in blue or red with contrasting penwork in bright red or blue-black throughout; line-fillers in red and blue; rubrics and running headings in red; capitals touched in yellow. Some catchwords enclosed in decorative cartouches with flowers (for example f. 170v, 178v).
- Formerly owned by Guillaume Libri; sold at auction at Sotheby's in a sale of part of the Libri collection, 1 June 1864, lot 71.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (ms. 24654); appeared at auction at Sotheby's in a sale of part of the Phillipps collection, 6 June 1899, lot 367, but presumably not sold; sold at auction at Sotheby's in a sale of part of the Phillipps collection, 24 June 1935, lot 74.
- Formerly owned by H. R. Creswick, Bodley's Librarian and Cambridge University Librarian.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 7 Dec. 1982, lot 53.
- Appears in Laurence Witten's cat. 18 (1983), no. 17.
- Formerly owned by a private German collector (ms. 24, sticker inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 20 June 1995, lot 87, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- World history--Early works to 1800
- Encyclopedias and dictionaries--Early works to 1600
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 14th century
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 16: Speculum historiale, Books 25-28 are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0284_0001.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
0284_0001_web.jpg (216.4 KB)
0284_0004.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0004_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0284_0004_web.jpg (267.6 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, f. 1r
0284_0005.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0005_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0284_0005_web.jpg (367.1 KB)
Section: Liber XXV [Charlemagne to Otho], f. 1v
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial U, f. 1v
0284_0008.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0008_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0284_0008_web.jpg (348.1 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial R, f. 3r
Decoration: Owner note, f. 3r
0284_0088.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0088_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0284_0088_web.jpg (312.7 KB)
Section: Liber XXVI [Henry II to disputatio of Petrus Alfonsus], f. 43r
0284_0092.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0092_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0284_0092_web.jpg (373.0 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial N, f. 45r
0284_0205.tif (95.1 MB)
0284_0205_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
0284_0205_web.jpg (366.9 KB)
Section: Liber XXVII [Henry V to selections from Hugh of Saint-Victor], f. 101v