Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 178 Report on efforts to repair the Acqua Felice
TitleReport on efforts to repair the Acqua Felice
Other related names
- Imperiali, Giuseppe Renato, 1651-1737 (former owner)
- North, Frederick, Earl of Guilford, 1766-1827 (former owner)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988 (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 178
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5760415
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1683
Report on attempts to address problems with water levels from the Acqua Felice, an aqueduct constructed in the late 16th century during the papacy of Sixtus V from springs at the Pantano di Griffi to the terminal fountain (mostra) at the Piazza della Terme. The report reviews earlier investigations in 1664 by architect and engineer Luigi Bernini, brother of the sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini, and discusses renewed efforts in 1683 by the architect Mattia de Rossi and Dutch engineer Cornelis Meijer. The report is a disbound gathering from a large volume.
Watermark6-pointed star inscribed in a circle with a cross above and initial F below.
Extent20 leaves : 270 x 203 (232 x 145) mm
CollationPaper, 20 leaves; 1²⁰; [523-562], contemporary pagination in pencil, upper right recto.
LayoutWritten in 29 long lines; multiple verticals marked by folding; section headings written in left margin.
ScriptWritten in cursive script by a single hand.
- Part of a manuscript formerly owned by Cardinal Giuseppe Renao Imperiali (Kraus).
- Part of a manuscript formerly owned by Frederick North, Earl of Guilford; sold at auction at Messrs. Evans (London) as part of his collection (Kraus).
- Part of a manuscript formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 21129.
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978 (Kraus ms. 1010).
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 9.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Aqueducts--Italy--Rome--Early works to 1800
- Water-supply--Italy--Rome--Early works to 1800
- Technology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European