Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 180 Letter concerning forges and wire mill
TitleLetter concerning forges and wire mill
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 180
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5783334
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Letter dated 17 June 1769 with an illegible signature, concerning a conflict between M. Noblat and the proprietors or leaseholders of the forges of Belfort and Grandvillars in the Franche-Comté department, over a mill for the drawing of wire (tirerie de fils de fer) on Noblat's land which the proprietors wish to be destroyed. The recipient of the letter seems to have been the individual who would act as a judge or arbitrator in the conflict; the writer is advocating on behalf of Noblat.
- Separated from manuscript formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 18507 (note in pencil, Kraus?).
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to Hans Peter Kraus, Mar. 1978; part of Kraus's ms. 836.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), as part of Ms. 11.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Technology--Early works to 1800
- Iron industry and trade--France--History--18th century
- Wire--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European