Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 180 Letter concerning steel production
TitleLetter concerning steel production
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 180
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5783342
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Letter written from Metz, 29 June 1779, to Monsieur Necker concerning steel production at the forge at Ruffec in the department of Charente. Includes references to business with the English colonies and policy on transactions with the new United States of America. A note in pencil (perhaps by Hans Peter Kraus) identifies the writer as the Comte de Broglie.
- Separated from manuscript formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 18507 (note in pencil, Kraus?).
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to Hans Peter Kraus, Mar. 1978; part of Kraus's ms. 836.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), as part of Ms. 11.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Technology--Early works to 1800
- Steel industry and trade--France--History--18th century
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European