Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 181 Mathematical notes
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Kraus, Hans Peter, 1907-1988, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 181
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5764280
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- after 1789
3 disbound smaller bifolia with notes and problems concerning geometrical construction, spherical geometry, and the theory of proportion; and 3 disbound larger bifolia with advanced algebra notes employing cubic and quadratic equations.
- Ms. leaves.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkGT with a small heart between the 2 initials (geometry notes, smaller bifolia); G. Touchard/Marché 1789 with countermark of bunch of grapes and O. Overard en Marché with countermark of 1781 (cubic and quadratic equations, larger bifolia)
Extent6 leaves : 260 x 416 mm., 324 x 410 mm
CollationPaper, 6 bifolia; 3 smaller bifolia have contemporary numeration 1-3, upper right recto of first leaf.
- Possible ownership inscription, M. Baumann, on one of the larger bifolia.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (Kraus).
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H.P. Kraus, Mar. 1978, ms. 842.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 12.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Algebra--Early works to 1800
- Geometry--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European