Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 182 Les observations de l'equinoxe du printêms de cette année 1703
TitleLes observations de l'equinoxe du printêms de cette année 1703
- Cassini, Giovanni Domenico, 1625-1712
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 182
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5028779
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageFrench, with a note in Italian
Observations of the vernal equinox made at the Paris Observatory (l'observatoire royal) on 21 March 1703 and notes on earlier equinoxes and the implications for year length and calendar reform, written on a gathering that has been removed from a larger manuscript (18th-century (?) foliation 81-90, 19th-century pencil pagination 301-319). A note in a contemporary Italian hand attributes the manuscript to Cassini and records that it was sent from Paris in May (f. 1r).
Extent1 256 x 190 mm
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (Kraus).
- Sold by Robinson Brothers (London), 1945.
- Appeared in an H. P. Kraus (New York) catalog.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 13.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Vernal equinox
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European