Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 183 Student's notebook on arithmetic and algebra
TitleStudent's notebook on arithmetic and algebra
- Oughtred, William, 1575-1660
- Diophantus, of Alexandria
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 183
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5311754
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish and Latin
- between 1675 and 1685
Student notebook containing problems copied from standard mathematical works and solved. The sources are Johannes Buteo's Logistica (1559); William Oughtred's Clavis mathematicae (1631) and possibly Gilbert Clerke's Oughtredus explicatus (1682, reference to Oughtred Explayned, f. 55r); and the Fermat-Becher edition of Diophantus (1670).
WatermarkVase with grape cluster and initials G [?].
Extent139 leaves : 145 x 94 mm. bound to 150 x 100 mm
CollationPaper, 139; 1¹⁴ (-1, first leaf is pastedown) 2-8¹⁶ 9¹⁶ (-2, last leaf is pastedown); text written from front, f. 1-89, and upside down from end, f. 141-107v.
BindingOriginal (late 17th-century) parchment binding, lacking ties; edges sprinkled in red.
ScriptWritten in cursive script by a single hand.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (according to H. P. Kraus).
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 14.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Algebra--Early works to 1800
- Arithmetic--Early works to 1800
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
0269_0001.tif (21.9 MB)
0269_0001_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
0269_0001_web.jpg (216.4 KB)