Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 190 Lecture notes on physics, statics, and mechanics
TitleLecture notes on physics, statics, and mechanics
Other related names
- North, Frederick, Earl of Guilford, 1766-1827 (former owner)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 190
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5198331
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1770
Notes from lectures on physics, statics, and mechanics, assuming a Newtonian perspective and citing 17th-century scientists such as Galileo, Descartes, Pierre Gassendi, and Pieter van Musschenbroek. The latest citation is to Henri Pitot, professor of engineering at the University of Paris who died in 1771.
Extent163 leaves : 262 x 191-193 (245 x 160-165) mm. +
CollationPaper, 163; 1²⁴(-1) 2-3²⁴ 4²⁴(-3) 5²⁴(-1) 6-7²⁴; [i-iv], 1-110, [i-ii], 111-322, contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingModern paper wrapper over disbound gatherings.
LayoutWritten in 25 long lines.
ScriptWritten in cursive script by a single hand.
- Formerly owned by Frederick North, Earl of Guilford; sold at auction at Messrs. Evans (London) as part of his collection, 8 Dec. 1830, vol. 7, lot 286, to bookseller Thomas Thorpe.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 7552.
- Sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H. P. Kraus, Mar. 1978.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 21 (number on spine of wrapper).
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Physics--Early works to 1800
- Technology--Early works to 1800
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- 170 — Table, p. 170
0335_0175.tif (44.2 MB)
0335_0175_thumb.jpg (6.2 KB)
0335_0175_web.jpg (362.3 KB)
Decoration: Table, p. 170
ljs190_wk1_body0118d.tif (44.2 MB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118d_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118d_web.jpg (462.4 KB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118c.tif (44.2 MB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118c_thumb.jpg (8.0 KB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118c_web.jpg (476.5 KB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118b.tif (44.2 MB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118b_thumb.jpg (7.7 KB)
ljs190_wk1_body0118b_web.jpg (461.5 KB)
ljs190_test_ref_1.tif (42.4 MB)
ljs190_test_ref_1_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
ljs190_test_ref_1_web.jpg (443.8 KB)