Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 192 Submarine detection in an alternating magnetic field
TitleSubmarine detection in an alternating magnetic field
- Whitehead, J. B. 1872-1954
- Grondahl, Lars Olai, 1880-
Other related names
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 192
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5833727
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Typescript of report on experiments on the use of magnetic coils carried on ships to detect submarines, conducted at The Johns Hopkins University and the Engineering Experiment Station at the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, beginning after the entrance of the United States into World War I. The report is followed by appendices on magnets and coils, detecting instruments, amplifiers, speed control, choice of frequency, tests of formulae, electrical balance in the detecting circuit, and the steel hull as a magnet.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i) and upper cover.
Extent125 leaves : 274 x 206 (232 x 164) mm. bound to 280 x 224 mm
FoliationPaper, 125; [i-ii], 1-13, [i-ii], 14-22, [i-ii], 23-31, [i-iii], 32, [i], 33-39, [i], 40-42, [i-ii], 43-44, [i-ii], 45-51, [i], 52-60, [i], 61-63, [i-ii], 64-65, [i], 66-67, [i], 68, [i], 69-72, [i], 73-75, [i-ii], 76-81, [i], 82-92, [i], 93, [i], 94, [95-97]; typed foliation on text leaves only, upper right recto.
BindingOriginal (20th-century) leather; gilt main title on upper cover; marbled endpapers.
33 figures, comprising blueprints of technical drawings and tables bound in with the text, and 4 photographs of the ships used in the experiments (mounted on 2 blank pages bound in after f. 42).
- Formerly owned by co-author Lars Olai Grondahl (signed L. O. Grondahl, March 1919, front endpaper verso); title page signed by J. B. Whitehead and marked Copy #6, March 1919, in Whitehead's hand.
- Sold by Palinurus Antiquarian Books (Elkins Park, Pa.), cat. 30 (1992), no. 66.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 23.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- World War, 1914-1918--Naval operations--Submarine
- Magnetic fields--Research--United States
- Blueprints (reprographic copies)
- Tables (documents)
- Technical drawings
- Manuscripts, American--20th century
- Manuscripts, Digital
Inside front cover
0092_0001.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0001_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
0092_0001_web.jpg (551.2 KB)
0092_0054.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0054_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0092_0054_web.jpg (325.1 KB)
Decoration: Table, f. 22r
0092_0134.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0134_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
0092_0134_web.jpg (287.3 KB)
Decoration: Table 4, f. 51r
0092_0140.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0140_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0092_0140_web.jpg (290.3 KB)
Decoration: Table 5, f. 53r
0092_0142.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0142_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0092_0142_web.jpg (316.3 KB)
Decoration: Table 6, f. 54r
0092_0150.tif (52.7 MB)
0092_0150_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
0092_0150_web.jpg (312.9 KB)
Decoration: Table 7, f. 58r