Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 195 Medical miscellany
Other related names
- Fugger, Ulricus, 1526-1584, former owner
- Stanitz, John D, former owner
Call numberLJS 195
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5858951
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageMiddle High German, with some Latin
- between 1450 and 1499
Medical compilation with a particular focus on the plague, but also including information on diseases of different parts of the body, urine, medicines, laxatives, water and wine, and the making of pigments for painting and inks for writing (f. 209r-215r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent326 leaves : 148 x 96 (119-124 x 75-80) mm. bound to 155 x 116 mm
CollationPaper, 326; 1¹⁶(-1, front pastedown) 2¹²(-1) 3¹² 4¹⁶ 5²⁰ 6¹⁶ 7¹⁴ 8¹⁰ 9-13¹⁴ 14¹⁰ 15¹⁴ 16¹⁶ 17¹¹ 18-24¹² 25⁸(-1, back pastedown); [i-xiv, 1], 2-37, 36, 38-47, 45, 48, 47, 49-52, 44, 53-255, 260-280, [i], 281-305, [306-311], contemporary foliation in ink in 2 schemes, the older in red ink upper center recto, and later in black ink, upper right recto. References in this record are to the black foliation, unless only red foliation is present.
BindingLimp parchment, a leaf from a 15th-century liturgical manuscript; paper spine.
Rubrication, underlining, and paragraph marks in red; initials touched with red.
- Formerly owned by Ulricus Fugger, shelfmark XVIII K 9 (upper left, upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 23 June 1992, lot 67.
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Paris and Chicago), Apr. 1993.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 26.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Medieval
- Pigments--Early works to 1800
- Plague--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, German--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- fol. 302v — Manicule, f. 302v
Inside front cover
0306_0001.tif (17.0 MB)
0306_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0306_0001_web.jpg (366.6 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
0306_0051.tif (2.6 MB)
0306_0051_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
0306_0051_web.jpg (119.4 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
0306_0052.tif (2.6 MB)
0306_0052_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
0306_0052_web.jpg (109.8 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 1
0306_0053.tif (2.6 MB)
0306_0053_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0306_0053_web.jpg (99.3 KB)
Loose note 2, Side 2
0306_0054.tif (2.6 MB)
0306_0054_thumb.jpg (2.6 KB)
0306_0054_web.jpg (94.9 KB)
0306_0639.tif (17.0 MB)
0306_0639_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
0306_0639_web.jpg (413.8 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 302v