Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 196 Leaves from illuminated Persian manuscripts
TitleLeaves from illuminated Persian manuscripts
Other related names
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 196
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5760444
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Leaves from 2 different Persian manuscripts of uncertain date and origin, each with an illumination. On the verso of one, a man and woman share a throne on a veranda, surrounded by nine musicians; the recto of this leaf has 8 lines of main text, with interlinear notes and surrounding commentary in a smaller script. On the other, a scene of a man kneeling at the mouth of a cave with another man kneeling before him is enclosed in a rondel; this illumination may be painted over text on the page. The other side of this leaf is written in 12 long lines.
Extent2 265 x 170 mm., 213 x 170 mm
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 27.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Iranian
- Musicians in art
- Manuscripts, Persian--17th century
- Manuscripts, Persian--18th century
- Manuscripts, Digital