Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 197 Funeral chant pictographs
TitleFuneral chant pictographs
Other related names
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 197
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5763016
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in southwest China in the late 19th or early 20th century.
- between 1885 and 1915
Prompts for chants performed from memory by a priest (tombra or dongba) at funeral ceremonies.
Extent11 leaves : 93 x 286 mm. bound to 93 x 286 mm
CollationPaper, 11; 1-11¹.
BindingSewn at left edge.
LayoutEach page divided into 3 rows of cells, with each cell containing multiple pictographs; ruled in ink.
ScriptWritten in pictographs.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 28.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Funeral rites and ceremonies--China
- Naxi (Chinese people)--Rites and ceremonies
- Naxi language--Texts
- Naxi language--Writing
- Manuscripts, Naxi--19th century
- Manuscripts, Naxi--20th century
- Manuscripts, Digital