Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 201 Evangelista Torricelli letter to Marin Marsenne
TitleEvangelista Torricelli letter to Marin Marsenne
- Torricelli, Evangelista, 1608-1647
Other related names
- Mersenne, Marin, 1588-1648 (recipient)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 201
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5968339
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Letter in Torricelli's cursive hand to Father Marin Mersenne, praising a lens owned by Ferdinando II, promising to send a lens he himself made, and discussing spherical geometry. Written from Florence, dated 9 January 1645, on a single paper leaf with a watermark of a bishop's miter. Tipped into a modern morocco binding with gilt title and erroneous date of 1649.
Extent1 leaf : 275 x 201 mm
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps; sold as part of the residue of the Phillipps collection first to William H. Robinson Ltd., 1945, and again to H.P. Kraus, March 1978.
- Appears in H. P. Kraus's cat. 155 (1980), no. 89, and cat. 186 (1991), no. 156.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 32.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Geometry--Early works to 1800
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Optics--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European