Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 202 Primum mobile
- Titi, Placido, 1603-1668
Other related names
- Leopold Wilhelm, Archduke of Austria, 1614-1662 (dedicatee)
- Tower, Christopher (former owner)
- Hockley, Frederick, 1808-1885 (former owner)
- Plummer, George Winslow, 1876-1944 (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
Call numberLJS 202
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5032274
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1675 and 1799
Astrological work presenting 70 theses on celestial influence (p. 5-17), 42 canons of instructions for the use of astronomical tables (p. 19-65), and 30 examples of nativities (charts of the exact date, time, and location of birth) of prominent figures, mostly born in the second half of the 16th century (p. 66-151, with a title page for the section on the unnumbered page before p. 66). The examples include heads of state, high-ranking members of the ecclesiastical hierarchy, and aristocrats (including one woman, Leonora Ursina, p. 147); each of the nativities begins with an astrological diagram and also includes small tables. An index follows the examples (p. 152-158). This English translation of a Latin work published in Padua in 1657 (p. i, unnumbered page before p. 66) differs substantially from the English translations published in the late 18th and early 19th century.
WatermarkFleur-de-lis with IV countermark.
Extent83 leaves : 370 x 234 (355 x 174) mm. bound to 377 x 252 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 83 + ii; [i-iv], 1-65, [ii], 66-143, 145-151, [152-161]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
Binding18th-century calf, rebacked.
LayoutWritten in 56-61 long lines; ruled in lead, with vertical bounding lines and no margin at bottom of page.
30 astrological diagrams in ink, all the same in form with different data entered, in the section of examples (p. 69-149).
ScriptWritten in a cursive script.
- Formerly owned by Christopher Tower (b. 1775), Weald Hall, Essex (armorial bookplate inside upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Frederick Hockley.
- Probably sold at auction at Sotheby's, 6 Apr. 1887.
- Formerly owned by George Winslow Plummer (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Sold by E + R Kistner Buch- und Kunstantiquariat, 1988.
- Sold by H. P. Kraus to John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 33.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
0249_0001.tif (81.0 MB)
0249_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0249_0001_web.jpg (217.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover