Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 211 Roger Bigod deed :
TitleRoger Bigod deed :
- Bigod, Roger, Earl of Norfolk, d. 1221
- Risinges, Walter de
- Risinges, Simon de
- Risinges, Eustace de
- Risinges, Peter de
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Grinke, Paul (former owner)
- Stanitz, John D (former owner)
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 211
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4995606
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Record of 3 grants of land in Suffolk by Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, to the sons of magister William de Risinges (Walter, Simon, Eustace, and Peter), for which Bigod received a riding horse, a windmill with a rood of land (possibly the earliest mention of a windmill in Suffolk), and an annual fee. Written in 17 long lines, in a chancery script, with the central part of a wax seal still remaining on a parchment tag. The remnant of the seal shows part of an equestrian figure on one side and a heraldic lion on the other.
Extent1 111 x 167 mm
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (ms. 27838, number written in ink on verso).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 June 1974, lot 3057, probably to Paul Grinke (Eye, Suffolk; book label on former housing, with 1974 written on it in ink).
- Appears in Sam Fogg Ltd.'s cat. 16 (1995), no. 44.
- Formerly owned by John D. Stanitz (Cleveland, Ohio), Ms. 42.
- Acquired by Lawrence J. Schoenberg with other Stanitz manuscripts, Sept. 1997.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Real property--England--Suffolk
- Legal documents
- Seals (artifacts)
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval