Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 226 Certain astrological and astronomical figures
TitleCertain astrological and astronomical figures
Other related names
- Lethe, Johannes, former owner
- Chetwode, John, Sir, 1764-1845, former owner
Call numberLJS 226
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9950511113503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin, with a few words in Spanish (f. 7r)
- ca. 1410
England and Spain
Collection of astrological and astronomical diagrams gathered from 3 earlier manuscripts. After a later parchment bifolium (f. 1-2, with inscription dated 1861 and 18th- or 19th-century English title) come 3 leaves from an early 15th-century English manuscript, perhaps the manuscript book dated 1410 referred to in the title on the later bifolium, possibly from the Liber juratus Honorii, attributed to Honorius of Thebes. These present magical diagrams that are a template for a horoscope (f. 3v), a circular zodiac calendar with no indication of year (f. 4r), and 2 diagrams related to Cabala as it was understood in Europe at the time (f. 4v-5r). An inscription describes the purchasing of the parent manuscript from Richard Chamberlain and a breakdown of the price for a manuscript of 25 gatherings, lining or ruling, binding, and materials (f. 3r). The next leaf, which is folded and comes from a different manuscript, shows a diagram of the earth surrounded by spheres of the elements with an explanation that suggests the diagram concerns the cause of tides (f. 6r) and 2 astronomical diagrams of concentric circles labeled Polus articus and Polus antarticus (f. 6v). The final leaf is from a Spanish manuscript and contains a mathematical table showing the use of Arabic numerals in the computation of large numbers (up to 22 places) for astronomical calculations, with notes using the Spanish terms cuento, millon, summa, and protocuendo (f. 7r). A plain diagram in ink of a labyrinth, drawn on the verso of a fragment of an English document on paper concerning a real estate transaction, is laid in the manuscript.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from 19th-century added title page (f. 2r).
Extent7 leaves : 170-208 x 130 mm. bound to 187 x 145 mm. +
CollationParchment, 7; 1² 2-5¹.
Binding19th-century quarter marbled paper over cardboard.
Diagrams in blue and red (f. 3v, 4v, 5r) or brown with red (f. 6r) or red and blue (f. 6v); checkerboard pattern in ink (f. 7v).
- Part of the manuscript (f. 3-5) produced and sold by Richard Chamberlain (inscription, f. 3r).
- Part of the manuscript (f. 7) formerly owned by Johannes Lethe (inscription, f. 7r).
- Formerly owned by Sir John Chetwode of Oakley Hall, Staffordshire (armorial bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Jul. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Astrology--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Booksellers and bookselling--Early works to 1800
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Magic--Early works to 1800
- Labyrinths--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library LJS 226: Certain astrological and astronomical figures are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0193_0001.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0193_0001_web.jpg (353.8 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0193_0007.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0007_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
0193_0007_web.jpg (343.3 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 3v
0193_0008.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0008_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0193_0008_web.jpg (363.9 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 4r
0193_0009.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0009_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0193_0009_web.jpg (390.8 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 4v
0193_0010.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0010_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
0193_0010_web.jpg (398.1 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 5r
0193_0012.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0012_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0193_0012_web.jpg (362.8 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 6r
0193_0013.tif (65.0 MB)
0193_0013_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0193_0013_web.jpg (334.3 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 6v
Loose note 1, Side 1
0193_0015.tif (37.4 MB)
0193_0015_thumb.jpg (9.7 KB)
0193_0015_web.jpg (548.6 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
0193_0016.tif (37.4 MB)
0193_0016_thumb.jpg (6.6 KB)
0193_0016_web.jpg (465.4 KB)
0193_0017.tif (55.9 MB)
0193_0017_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0193_0017_web.jpg (448.2 KB)
Decoration: Decoration, Checkerboard pattern, f. 7v