Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 229 Commentaries on Aristotle and Porphyry
TitleCommentaries on Aristotle and Porphyry
Call numberLJS 229
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9959415183503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1450 and 1499
Provence or Spain
15th-century copy of anonymous commentaries in Hebrew on talkhīṣāt (middle commentaries) by Averroës on Aristotle and Porphyry, originally written in Arabic in the 12th century. The commentaries on Aristotle's Categoriae and De interpretatione are titled Sefer ha-Maʼamarot and Sefer ha-Melitsah in the manuscript; the two commentaries of Averroës on these works are known as Talkhīṣ kitāb al-maqūlāt and Talkhīs kitāb al-ʻIbārah, respectively. The commentary on Porphyry's Isagoge is titled Sefer ha-Mavo in the manuscript; the commentary by Averroës on this work is known as Talkhīṣ madkhal Furfūriyūs. Occasional marginal notes. Lower half of one leaf following conclusion of text cut out (f. 114). Pen trials and notes in Hebrew, Latin, and French on the 3 detached leaves at the end of the manuscript.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet Tête de boeuf 14355 (various locations in Provence, 1446-1480).
Extent119 leaves : 205 x 145 (144 x 95) mm. bound to 210 x 145 mm
FoliationPaper, 119; 1¹⁸(-1) 2-7¹² 8⁸ 9¹² 10⁸(-1), 3 detached leaves; modern foliation in pencil, [1-118], upper left recto. Catchword on each leaf, lower left verso.
BindingRemnants of contemporary or near-contemporary (late 15th or early 16th century) calf over pasteboards, blind-stamped; sewing guards of parchment fragments from leaves of a mid-13th-century glossed French manuscript; upper cover detached, spine lacking, fragile.
Small diagram in ink in lower margin (f. 75r).
- Early Latin ownership inscription: Iste liber est meus mestre Benustruc[?] Avidor (f. 117v).
- Purchased in 1974 for the Comites Latentes collection, formed by Sion Segre Amar (ms. 129, label outside lower cover?); placed on deposit at the National Library, Jerusalem.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 2 December 1997, lot 88, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Logic--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library LJS 229: Commentaries on Aristotle and Porphyry are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 75r — Diagram, f. 75r
Inside front cover
0097_0001.tif (28.4 MB)
0097_0001_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0097_0001_web.jpg (454.1 KB)
0097_0150.tif (28.4 MB)
0097_0150_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
0097_0150_web.jpg (451.1 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 75r
ljs229_wk1_front0001a.tif (28.4 MB)
ljs229_wk1_front0001a_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
ljs229_wk1_front0001a_web.jpg (440.7 KB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001b.tif (28.4 MB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001b_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001b_web.jpg (404.7 KB)
ljs229_wk1_front0001b.tif (28.4 MB)
ljs229_wk1_front0001b_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
ljs229_wk1_front0001b_web.jpg (448.1 KB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001a.tif (28.4 MB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001a_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
ljs229_wk1_back0001a_web.jpg (448.8 KB)