Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 236 Thesaurus pauperum ... etc.
TitleThesaurus pauperum ... etc.
- John XXI, Pope, -1277
- Johannes, de Rupescissa, approximately 1300-approximately 1365
- Arnaldus, de Villanova, -1311
Other related names
- Llull, Ramon, 1232?-1316, attributed name
Call numberLJS 236
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9958895573503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageLatin, with one section (f. 267r-272r) and some recipes, notes, and names in Italian
- ca. 1450-1499
Medical miscellany with almost the first half of the volume devoted to a copy of Thesaurus pauperum, a compilation of remedies for a variety of diseases frequently attributed to Petrus Hispanus, later Pope John XXI. The remainder includes a work by Arnaldus de Villanova, a partial copy of a work by Johannes de Rupescissa, a work attributed to Ramon Llull, and several other unattributed collections of remedies. Lists of multiple names, perhaps of teachers or students, many associated with locations in northern Italy, added by a few hands (f. 165r-167r, 265r-266r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript from explicit for predominant work (f. 101r).
Extent233 leaves : 147 x 104 (92-95 x 66-69) mm. bound to 147 x 118 mm
CollationPaper, 233 + i (11th-century parchment); 1¹⁰(-2) 2-11¹⁰ 12¹⁰(-2) 13¹⁰(-8) 14¹⁰(-4) 15¹²(-5) 16-21¹⁰ 22¹² 23¹²(-3) 24¹⁰(-1) 25¹²; early foliation in ink, , 2-8, 11-69, 80-89, 100-138, 149-151, 154-157, 160-167, 173-212, 113, 214-247, 251-263, 265-278 (f. 9-10, 139-148, 152-153, 158-159, 168-172 torn out), upper right recto. Catchwords on the last verso of gatherings 2-11, 13-14, 16-23 (f. 20v, 30v, 40v, 50v, 60v, 80v, 100v, 110v, 120v, 130v, 150v, 160v, 182v, 192v, 202v, 212v, 222v, 232v, 244v, 256v); at least one gathering may be missing after a dangling catchword on gathering 21 (f. 232v). References in this record are to foliation as it appears in the manuscript.
BindingOriginal (15th-century) parchment with 5 metal bosses on each cover and remnants of a clasp; title Thesaurus pauperum partially visible on the upper cover in ink; attachment of covers to spine and binding to manuscript very fragile. Back flyleaf and pastedown are formed from a fragment from a mid-11th-century German homiliary; the text is from Pope Leo I's Sermon 42, on Quadragesima.
Diagram of chemical apparatus in text (f. 260r); rough drawings in ink of faces (f. 167v); spaces left for 2-line and 3-line initials, with guide letters
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Paris and Chicago) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Dec. 1997.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library LJS 236: Thesaurus pauperum ... etc. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 4r — Drawing, f. 4r
Inside front cover
0043_0001.tif (21.6 MB)
0043_0001_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0043_0001_web.jpg (373.2 KB)
0043_0008.tif (21.6 MB)
0043_0008_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0043_0008_web.jpg (404.3 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, f. 4r