Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 237 Quinque libri Egesippi nacione Judei de excidio iudeorum
TitleQuinque libri Egesippi nacione Judei de excidio iudeorum
- Josephus, Flavius
Other related names
- Lomer, Petrus (scribe)
- Hahn, Franz Joseph Anton von, 1699-1748 (former owner)
- Gladstone, W. E. 1809-1898 (former owner)
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 237
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania., Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 4769953
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1460
Latin translation and adaptation of De bello Judaico with information added from other historians, mostly Latin, traditionally attributed to Egesippus. Contemporary scholarly marginalia and glosses attempt to resolve inconsistencies between this text and the more literal Latin translation of Rufinus.
Extent1 online resource (185 leaves) :
CollationParchment, i (17th-century paper) + 185 + i (17th-century paper); 1¹ 2-24⁸; modern foliation in pencil on every fifth leaf, lower right recto. Catchwords (mostly vertical) on last verso of gatherings 3-24. Some signatures visible, most trimmed away.
Binding17th-century morocco, panelled in blind with fleur-de-lis cornerpieces, spine with the gilt label EGESIPPI DE EXCIDIO JUDAEORUM MSS.
LayoutWritten in 28 long lines; ruled in lead. Pricking visible in outer margins. Running headings for number of book, upper center recto, from Book 2 (f. 58r) onward.
6 illuminated initials marking beginning of prologue and each of the five books (f. 1r, 1v, 57v, 80r, 104v, 127v), 5-line to 8-line, maroon infilled with green strapwork on blue ground sprinkled with white within a gold border, identified by Albinia de la Mare as a Paduan type, ca. 1460. Rubrics in red at beginning of prologue, beginning of Book 1, and end of Book 5 (f. 2r, 2v, 185r). Numerous manicules. 17th-century painted architectural border with floral vases and Visconti armorial shield with two helmets (f. 2r).
ScriptWritten in the humanistic bookhand of Petrus Lomer (f. 185r).
- The added border with the Visconti arms (f. 2r) suggests that this manuscript was in the library of the bishop of Bamberg, Franz Joseph Anton von Hahn; many manuscripts in this library had borders with the arms of various well-known Italian families added before the library was sold at auction in Venice in the 18th century.
- Formerly owned by W. E. Gladstone (Hawarden Castle Library, MMI10, label inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 8 Dec. 1982, lot 122.
- Sold by Sam Fogg (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 1998.
- Sold by Lawrence J. Schoenberg at auction at Sotheby's to an unknown purchaser, 6 Jul. 2010, lot 33.
- Jews--History--Early works to 1800
- Jews--History--586 B.C.-70 A.D
- Jews--History--Rebellion, 66-73
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0287_0001.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0001_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0287_0001_web.jpg (201.6 KB)
0287_0006.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0006_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
0287_0006_web.jpg (435.2 KB)
Section: Prologus, f. 2r
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial Q, f. 2r
Decoration: Decorated border, f. 2r
0287_0007.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0007_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0287_0007_web.jpg (368.3 KB)
Section: Liber primus, f. 2v
0287_0117.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0117_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0287_0117_web.jpg (333.9 KB)
Section: Liber secundus, f. 57v
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial S, f. 57v
0287_0162.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0162_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0287_0162_web.jpg (340.0 KB)
Section: Liber tertius, f. 80r
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial E, f. 80r
0287_0211.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0211_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0287_0211_web.jpg (380.8 KB)
Section: Liber quartus, f. 104v
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial E, f. 104v
0287_0257.tif (58.5 MB)
0287_0257_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
0287_0257_web.jpg (352.2 KB)
Section: Liber quintus, f. 127v
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial A, f. 127v