Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 238 Assise of all manner of breade :
TitleAssise of all manner of breade :
Other related names
- Fenn, John, 1739-1794 (former owner)
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872 (former owner)
- Lansburgh, Mark (former owner)
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 238
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4993994
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Table of prescribed weights for varieties of loaves for different prices of wheat, with the heading The statute of wynchestre. Written in Winchester in the 16th century. After a preamble of 8 lines written in a cursive Gothic script, the table of 6 columns of 34 lines in textura script presents the prices of wheat in the first column followed by columns for 5 varieties of loaf (quarter symnell, farthing wastel, white lofe, wheten lof, and household lof). The preamble begins with the heading and a 6-line calligraphic initial in red ink. The columns alternate between red and black ink, with a drawing in faint red ink at the top of each column (a sack of grain over the first, a type of loaf over the others) and a drawing of a scroll in black ink enclosing the heading of each column.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 443 x 338 mm
- Formerly owned by Sir John Fenn, editor of the Paston Letters.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (ms. no. 33859); sold at auction at Sotheby's in a sale of part of his library (New Series, 7th Part), 14 June 1971, to Chas. J. Sawyer Ltd. (London).
- Formerly owned by Mark Lansburgh (bookplate inside former binding).
- Previously handled by dealer Bruce Ferrini (Akron, Oh.).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Feb. 1998.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Bakers--England--Early works to 1800
- Bread--England--Early works to 1800
- Weights and measures--England--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance