Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 251 Ars artium
- Schopper, Hartmann, 1542- Schopper, Hartmann, 1542-
Other related names
- Hassia, Maurice, dedicatee
- Woodcock, Albert, former owner
Call numberLJS 251
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4856519
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with some Hebrew characters
- between 1655 and 1699
17th-century copy of a 16th-century treatise (1564, p. 6; 1569, p. 121) on cabalistic gematria (the mystical interpretation of language), in which strings of letters, in this case Latin sentences, are assigned a numerical value. Begins with a dedication to Maurice Hassia, Landgraf of Katsenelnbogen, Dietz, Zitgen-Hain, and Nidda, and a preface in which Schopper cites Christian Renaissance scholar Pico della Mirandola as his primary source for the Hebrew tradition of cabala. The mathematical notation used in the manuscript suggests that the text was copied and updated between 1655 and 1699.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page for second part (p. 121).
WatermarkSmall mountain, bird, and initials PB enclosed in a circle surmounted by the letter F (f. 1-132); fleur-de-lis enclosed in a circle surmounted by a heart (f. 133-139).
Extent139 leaves : 282 x 202 (245 x 156) mm. bound to 289 x 215 mm
CollationPaper, 139; 1¹⁰ 2¹² 3⁶ 4¹² 5¹⁰ 6⁸(+1) 7-10¹² 11¹²(+1) 12¹² 13¹⁰(-3?); gatherings signed A-D, F-I, K-M (gatherings 5 ([E]) and 13 not signed); 3-22, 25-84, 87-104, 107-122, 125-248, 273-274, 249-264, [i-ii], 265-269, , 275-276, [i-ii], 277-279, 279-285; contemporary pagination in ink, upper right recto. Catchword lower right verso on each leaf.
BindingLater vellum over pasteboards (signs of trimming show this not to be the original binding); spine and corners repaired.
Diagrams and tables throughout.
- Formerly owned by Albert Woodcock (inscription inside upper cover: Albert Woodcock, Book bought in Sicily A.D. 1886; similar inscriptions, p. 3, 121).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Aug. 1998.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Gematria--Early works to 1800
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Algebra--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
0272_0001.tif (116.9 MB)
0272_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0272_0001_web.jpg (309.6 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, Inside front cover
0272_0258.tif (116.9 MB)
0272_0258_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0272_0258_web.jpg (352.0 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 129r
0272_0268.tif (116.9 MB)
0272_0268_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0272_0268_web.jpg (331.3 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 134r
0272_0269.tif (116.9 MB)
0272_0269_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
0272_0269_web.jpg (355.3 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 134v
Inside back cover
0272_0280.tif (116.9 MB)
0272_0280_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0272_0280_web.jpg (284.7 KB)