Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 252 Manuscript leaf from Physics
TitleManuscript leaf from Physics
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 252
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9947594443503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Parchment leaf, formerly trimmed and used as a pastedown, from a manuscript of a Latin translation of the Physics of Aristotle, written in England, ca. 1300. The leaf is frame-ruled in ink for 2 columns of 36 lines and written in a Gothic script. The text is from Book 5 of the Physics, from the middle of Chapter 6 into Chapter 7 (Chapter 7 begins on the verso at the 2-line initial A in red with blue flourishing and marginal extension, with the text Amplius autem determinandum est). Running headings in red and blue, with Ph for Physica on the recto and L V for Liber V on the verso. 4 large paragraph marks in blue or red with contrasting flourishing and 1-line paragraphs alternating between red and blue.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 316 x 162 (233 x 133) mm
- Sold by Maggs Bros., cat. 1249 (1998), no. 6.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Physics--Early works to 1800
- Physical sciences--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 13th century
- 14th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 252: Manuscript leaf from Physics are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.