Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 275 Martinus land sale document
TitleMartinus land sale document
- Martinus, son of Forte Martinus, son of Forte
- Maius, son of Martinus Maius, son of Martinus
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 275
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4996560
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Document written on parchment in Benevento, Italy, in August of 823, recorded in the document as the seventh year of the principate of Sicone (Licone di Aurenza). Record of the sale of land including a vineyard and orchards in A lo Tuoro by Martinus, son of Forte, and his son, Maius, to Bonepaertus, son of Alfanus, for 4 Beneventan gold soldi and 2 tremisses (three-pence pieces). Signed by 6 witnesses. Written in a single column of 21 lines in the provincial chancery script that developed from Ravenna cursive and from which developed Beneventan bookhand, already in use by this date. 16th-century description on verso.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 440 x 195 mm
- Sold by Maggs Bros., Aug. 1998, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Real property--Italy--9th century
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, Latin--9th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval