Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 289 Algorismus
Call numberLJS 289
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5857874
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1450 and 1475?
Pedagogical treatise on commercial and practical arithmetic, with extensive use of arabic numerals, descriptions of operations such as multiplication and division, and particular attention to proportions (using the rule of three), money-changing (fiorini, bolognini, and ducati), and alloys of precious metals.
Extent98 leaves : 113 x 90 (72 x 65) mm. bound to 120 x 105 mm
CollationParchment, i + 98 + i; 1¹⁰ 2¹² 3¹⁰ 4-6¹² 7-9¹⁰; 1-98, contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. Catchwords on the last versos of gatherings 1-8.
BindingContemporary (15th-century) blind-tooled leather, possibly Neapolitan; rebacked.
LayoutWritten in 18-20 long lines.
ScriptWritten in Italian commercial cursive script (mercantesca).
- Appears in Fiammetta Soave's catalog One hundred fine & rare books and manuscripts (1994), no. 3; sold to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, May 1999.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Arithmetic--Early works to 1900
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0055_0001.tif (11.1 MB)
0055_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0055_0001_web.jpg (382.3 KB)