Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 299 Sefer ha-Ḳanon ... etc.
TitleSefer ha-Ḳanon ... etc.
- Avicenna, 980-1037
Other related names
- Danūkh, Saʻīd, former owner
- Sassoon, David Solomon, 1880-1942, former owner
Call numberLJS 299
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958651873503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguagePredominant work in Hebrew (p. 19-234), with shorter works in Judeo-Arabic
- ca. 1400-1525
Hebrew translation of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia; its division into 4 books is customary for Hebrew translations, but it also has unusual additional sections on drugs, the liver and intestines, and heart diseases. Short medical works in Judeo-Arabic precede Avicenna's work, and a Judeo-Arabic commentary on Galen follows it; these were written by Saʻīd Danūkh, who also wrote marginal notes alongside the Avicenna.
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript supplied by cataloger from title for predominant work.
Extent147 leaves : 210 x 153 (142 x 100) mm. bound to 220 x 160 mm
CollationPaper, i + 147 + i; 1⁴ 2-5⁸ 6⁶ 7-15⁸ 16⁴ 17-19⁸ 20⁸(-3); [1-294], modern pagination in pencil, usually lower center.
BindingContemporary (15th-century) or very early morocco, blind-stamped, over pasteboards; remnants of 2 pairs of leather loops (lower cover) and toggles (upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Saʻīd Danookh (signed glosses, p. 15-16).
- Formerly owned by David Solomon Sassoon (Ms. 428, labels on spine and inside upper cover).
- Sold as part of the Sassoon collection at auction at Sotheby's, 21 Jun. 1994, lot 54.
- Appeared in Sam Fogg's cat. 16 (1995), no. 83; sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Apr. 1999.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2015.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Medicine, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- 16th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 299: Sefer ha-Ḳanon ... etc. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0086_0001.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0001_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0086_0001_web.jpg (286.0 KB)
0086_0004.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0004_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
0086_0004_web.jpg (448.1 KB)
Section: Brief medical passages or fragments in Judeo-Arabic, p. 1
0086_0018.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0018_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0086_0018_web.jpg (325.6 KB)
Section: Sayings of Galen in Hebrew and Arabic, p. 15
0086_0020.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0020_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0086_0020_web.jpg (458.7 KB)
Section: Refu?at (Prescriptions) in Judeo-Arabic, p. 17
0086_0022.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0022_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
0086_0022_web.jpg (387.6 KB)
Section: Sefer ha-K?anon, p. 19
0086_0238.tif (68.1 MB)
0086_0238_thumb.jpg (7.5 KB)
0086_0238_web.jpg (445.1 KB)
Section: Commentary on Galen in Judeo-Arabic, p. 235