Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 304 Dogale issed by Doge Alvise Mocenigo to Girolamo Pruli, podestà of Brescia
TitleDogale issed by Doge Alvise Mocenigo to Girolamo Pruli, podestà of Brescia
- Venice (Republic : to 1797) Venice (Republic : to 1797)
Other related names
- Priuli, Girolamo, recipient
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 304
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4958277
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin and Italian
Commission from Alvise Mocenigo, doge of Venice, addressed to Girolamo Priuli (not to be confused with the Girolamo Priuli, of the same family, who served as doge of Venice and died in 1567), concerning Priuli's duties, rights, and obligations while holding the position of podestà (civil administrator) of Brescia, a mainland community west of Venice under Venetian control.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent210 leaves : 218 x 146 (141 x 88) mm. bound to 228 x 172 mm
CollationParchment, i (modern paper) + 210 + i (modern paper); 1-21¹⁰; [1-210], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Vertical catchwords on the lower right verso of the last leaf of each gathering.
Binding16th-century Venetian morocco over pasteboards, gilt-lacquered sunk-compartment ornamentation, with the winged lion of San Marco on the upper cover and an armorial stamp on the lower cover; remnants of ties; pastedowns, endpapers, and headbands renewed.
Opening lines in gold display capitals (f. 1v).
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 2 June 1999, lot 43, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Brescia (Italy).--Podestà
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- fol. 1v — Illuminated heading, f. 1v
Inside front cover
0290_0001.tif (71.9 MB)
0290_0001_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
0290_0001_web.jpg (321.5 KB)
0290_0005.tif (71.9 MB)
0290_0005_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0290_0005_web.jpg (325.6 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated heading, f. 1v