Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 308 Edward III letter patent
TitleEdward III letter patent
- Lionel of Antwerp, Duke of Clarence, 1338-1368
Other related names
- Marton, J, scribe
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
- Shane, A. L, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 308
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4748833
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Letter patent on parchment dated Gloucester, 16 August 1347, with Great Seal of England in white wax (very worn, especially at edges) suspended on a parchment tag. Confirmation of the grant by John de Coggeshale, escheator of Essex, to Robert de Burghcher of permission to close and convert to cultivation a public road running through his land at Stansted on condition that Robert build another appropriate road on his land. Witnessed by the king's son Lionel, later Duke of Clarence, and issued by writ of the Privy Seal, written in chancery script and signed by chancery scribe J. Marton. Opening initial left blank, first line with calligraphic ascenders.
Extent1 item (1 leaf) : 190 x 270 mm. +
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps (ms. 30744).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 30 Nov. 1976, lot 867.
- Formerly owned by A. L. Shane.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 22 June 1999, lot 52, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Roads--England--Early works to 1800
- Letters patent
- Seals (artifacts)
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval