Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 309 Nakhtnebef collateral letter
TitleNakhtnebef collateral letter
- Nakhtnebef, son of Pamerour
Other related names
- Hor, son of Padiousir (recipient)
- Lambert, Roger, 1907- (former owner)
- Leconte, Louis (former owner)
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 309
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5004800
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageDemotic, with a subscription in Greek
Guarantee by Nakhtnebef, son of Pamerour of Memphis, to Hor, son of Padiousir the brewer, that he will pay back the value of one-fifth of the brewery in Meidum (40 deben or 200 staters) within two days if called upon, pledging his house and possessions as collateral. Written in 25 lines of Demotic script on papyrus with signatures of five witnesses, including Padikhonsou, son of Amon; Padiousir, son of Semataouy; and Guédjadja, son of Nechthnibis. Dated in the month of Athyr in regnal year 5 of Pharaoh Ptolemy V (11 December 201 to 9 January 200 B.C.). In 2 faded lines of Greek added at the bottom in regnal year 6, Nechthnibis guarantees one fifth for 800 drachmas.
Extent1 255 x 96 mm
- Formerly owned by Roger Lambert; sold by Lambert to Louis Leconte (P. Dém. 1).
- Appears in the joint catalog of Antiquariaat Forum and Les Enluminures for the 20th Congress of the International Association of Bibliophiles (1997), no. 1.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 22 June 1999, lot 57.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Brewing--Early works to 1800
- Financial records
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, Digital
- Egyptian language--Papyri, Demotic
- Manuscripts, Greek (Papyri)