Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 322 Fragments from Books III-V of Qānūn fī al-ṭibb
TitleFragments from Books III-V of Qānūn fī al-ṭibb
- Avicenna, 980-1037
Other related names
- ʻAbduh, Muḥammad (former owner)
Call numberLJS 322
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5861191
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Iran or Turkey?
Sections from Books III (al-Amrāḍ al-juzʼīyah, diseases arranged by part of the body), IV (al-Amrāḍ al latī la takhaṣ bi-ʻuḍwīn bi-ʻaynih, diseases not specific to particular organs), and V (al-Adwiyah al-murakkabah, compound drugs, ointments, and electuaries) of Avicenna's medical encyclopedia. Many marginal notes trimmed; some later marginal notes run from the manuscript leaves onto their modern paper frames.
Extent71 leaves : 249 x 160 mm., mounted on modern paper 323 x 198 mm
FoliationPaper, 71; [1-27, 28a, 29a, 30-71], modern foliation in pencil, upper center; earlier foliation in ink suggests the original manuscript was at least 251 leaves.
LayoutWritten in 40-41 long lines.
ScriptWritten in a non-vocalized naskh script with no diacritics, with marginal notes in multiple hands.
- Formerly owned by Muḥammad ʻAbduh (ownership stamp, possibly of Iranian or Turkish origin, f. 22r, 26r).
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Aug. 1999.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Medicine, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Arabic--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval