Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 33 Spanish Forger illumination
TitleSpanish Forger illumination
- Spanish Forger
Call numberLJS 33
(University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959836903503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Illuminated chess scene painted on a parchment leaf scraped of its original text and musical notation. The illumination was probably painted in France circa 1900; the verso preserves 4 lines of text and musical notation with two small decorated initials from a late 14th or early 15th-century Italian liturgical manuscript. Also on the verso is an inscription in pencil, à Lucien.
- Title supplied by cataloger (viewed on 17 September 2013).
- Dimensions of original manuscript: 187 x 134 mm.
Extent1 online resource (1 leaf) :
- Purchased by a former owner in Paris in the 1930s or 1940s (Sotheby's).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 25 June 1985, lot 37, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Chess in art
- Illuminations (visual works)
- Manuscripts, Latin--14th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 14th century
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 33: Spanish Forger illumination are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.