Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 346 Edicts concerning Jews in Mantua
TitleEdicts concerning Jews in Mantua
- Vincenzo I Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua, 1562-1612
- Gonzaga, Guglielmo, 1538-1587
- Gentilis, Matthaeus
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 346
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9949672393503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
LanguageItalian, with some Latin
Official copy of an edict issued by Vincenzo Gonzaga, duke of Mantua, in 1594 renewing privileges and amnesties of the Jews of Mantua, who were allowed to work as bankers, merchants, and butchers. The contemporary edict is preceded by copies of 2 earlier renewals, the first issued by Guglielmo Gonzaga, Vincenzo's father and the previous duke, in Goito in 1587, and the second issued by Vincenzo in 1590. All 3 copies, perhaps written by a chancery scribe, are signed by ducal chancellor Matthaeus Gentilis.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkCrown with countermark of IBC with 3-leaf clover above the B; flyleaves have 3 crescents above the word MEZZANA with countermark of the letter W topped with decorative flourishes.
Extent20 leaves : 355 x 245 (278-282 x 195-205) mm. bound to 355 x 255 mm
CollationPaper, i + 20 + i; 1²⁰; 1-13, [14-20] (14-20 blank); contemporary foliation in arabic numerals in ink and modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Catchwords on every page, lower right corner.
BindingMarbled paper over pasteboard.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 7 Dec. 1999, lot 24, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 16th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 346: Edicts concerning Jews in Mantua are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0206_0001.tif (73.9 MB)
0206_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0206_0001_web.jpg (247.9 KB)
0206_0004.tif (73.9 MB)
0206_0004_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
0206_0004_web.jpg (277.4 KB)
Section: Edict, 4 April 1587, f. 1r
0206_0014.tif (73.9 MB)
0206_0014_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0206_0014_web.jpg (277.7 KB)
Section: Edict, 25 October 1590, f. 6r
0206_0020.tif (73.9 MB)
0206_0020_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
0206_0020_web.jpg (281.9 KB)
Section: Edict, 10 November 1594, f. 9r