Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 358 Letter to Rodolfo Pio da Carpi
TitleLetter to Rodolfo Pio da Carpi
- Pio da Carpi, Rodolfo, 1500-1564,
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J (former owner)
Call numberLJS 358
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5001053
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Letter to the Cardinal Rodolfo Pio da Carpi, a humanist and member of the Roman Inquisition. The author, unknown but perhaps from the Italian town of Como (as he refers to Pliny the Elder as nostro cittadino), provides commentary on Varro's De re rustica, III.5-6, describing Varro's villa and its aviary. The fifth leaf, now missing, probably contained a plan of the aviary, as referred to in the letter. The letter consists of 3 bifolia, with the fifth leaf missing. It is written in 30-31 long lines, in a humanistic cursive script, on paper with a watermark of a circumscribed sailboat, addressed Al reverendissimo et illustrissimo Cardinale de Carpi on the verso of the sixth leaf.
Extent1 305 x 210 (240 x 155) mm
- Sold by E. K. Schreiber, Spring List 2000 (March 2000), no. 58, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2010.
- Agriculture--Early works to 1800
- Latin literature--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance