Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 386 Kitāb Mīzān al-ḥikmah
TitleKitāb Mīzān al-ḥikmah
- Khāzinī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān, fl. 1121
Call numberLJS 386
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4824919
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1270
Substantial sections from an illustrated treatise titled Book of the balance of wisdom, which concerns measurement of weight, with a historical introduction to theories of gravity and weighing in Greek and Arabic science; tables of densities of substances including metals, precious stones, solids, and liquids; and descriptions of different types of balances. A few marginal notes are present. A few catchwords and some minuscule letters under undotted letters have been added by later hands. Damage to edges of many leaves.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent98 leaves : 195 x 160 (145 x 110) mm
FoliationPaper, 98 leaves; [3-18, 37-38, 43-78, 83-94, 97-188, 191-192, 231-232, 235-240, 243-244, 247-248, 261-276, 285-292]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingUnbound, with some partial gatherings still joined or repaired at gutter.
26 diagrams and 18 tables in red and black ink.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd., cat. 22 (2000), to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Balances (Weighing instruments)--Early works to 1800
- Scales (Weighing instruments)--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval