Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 386 Kitāb Mīzān al-ḥikmah. / كتاب ميزان الحكمة
TitleKitāb Mīzān al-ḥikmah. / كتاب ميزان الحكمة
- Khāzinī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān, active 1121 خازني، عبد الرحمن،
Other related names
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 386
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9948249193503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Substantial sections from an illustrated treatise on the measurement of weight, with a historical introduction to theories of gravity and weighing in Greek and Arabic science; tables of densities of substances including metals, precious stones, solids, and liquids; and descriptions of different types of balances. 26 diagrams and 18 tables with a few marginal notes. A few catchwords have been added by later hands. Damage to edges of many leaves.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from table of contents (p. 16, 17).
Extent98 leaves : 195 x 160 (145 x 110) mm
FoliationPaper, 98 leaves; [3-18, 37-38, 43-78, 83-94, 97-188, 191-192, 231-232, 235-240, 243-244, 247-248, 261-276, 285-292]; modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingUnbound, with some partial gatherings still joined or repaired at gutter.
26 diagrams and 18 tables in red and black ink; rubrications in red.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd., cat. 22 (2000), to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Balances (Weighing instruments)--Early works to 1800
- Scales (Weighing instruments)--Early works to 1800
- Hydrostatics--Early works to 1800
- Mechanics--Early works to 1800
- Balances (Weighing instruments)
- Scales (Weighing instruments)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--13th century
- Manuscripts, Arabic--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Gatherings (gathered matter components)
- Detached leaves
- Tables (documents)
- Early works
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 386: Kitāb Mīzān al-ḥikmah. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.