Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 391 Fragment of manuscript bifolium from the Liber ad Almansorem
TitleFragment of manuscript bifolium from the Liber ad Almansorem
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925?
Other related names
- Gherardo, da Cremona, 1113 or 14-1187 (translator)
Call numberLJS 391
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5761416
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Upper half of a bifolium from Gherardo da Cremona's 12th-century Latin translation of al-Rāzī's Arabic medical encyclopedia, copied in protogothic script in the 13th century. The running titles refer to Book VIIII and Book X and give the author's name as Rasis. One heading refers to the effects of an ulcer (apostema). Each page is written in 2 columns; the incomplete columns have up to 23 lines. 2-line initials alternate between blue with red flourishing and red with blue flourishing; paragraph marks in blue; rubrication in red. Substantial glossing in same ink as main text in smaller script in margins. Prickings visible on one edge.
Extent1 107-116 x 384 mm
- Sold by Philip J. Pirages, cat. 45 (Nov. 2000), no. 985, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval