Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize LJS 391 Fragment of manuscript bifolium from the Liber ad Almansorem
TitleFragment of manuscript bifolium from the Liber ad Almansorem
- Rāzī, Abū Bakr Muḥammad ibn Zakarīyā, 865?-925?
Other related names
- Gherardo, da Cremona, 1113 or 14-1187, translator
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberOversize LJS 391
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9957614163503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Upper half of a bifolium from Gherardo da Cremona's 12th-century Latin translation of al-Rāzī's Arabic medical encyclopedia, copied in transitional script in the early 13th century, possibly in Italy. The running titles refer to Book VIIII and Book X and give the author's name as Rasis. One heading refers to the effects of an ulcer (apostema). Each page is written in 2 columns; the incomplete columns have up to 23 lines. 2-line initials alternate between blue with red flourishing and red with blue flourishing; paragraph marks in blue; rubrication in red. Substantial glossing in same ink as main text in smaller script in margins. Prickings visible on one edge.
- Ms. fragment.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent1 leaf : 107-116 x 384 mm
- Sold by Philip J. Pirages, cat. 45 (Nov. 2000), no. 985, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Gift of Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2016.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 13th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize LJS 391: Fragment of manuscript bifolium from the Liber ad Almansorem are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.