Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 395 Manuscript pastedowns from De proprietatibus rerum
TitleManuscript pastedowns from De proprietatibus rerum
- Bartholomaeus, Anglicus, active 13th century
Other related names
- Dunn, George, 1864-1912, former owner
- Beresford-Jones, Duncan, former owner
Call numberLJS 395
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9959248983503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Fragments from 2 leaves of a 13th-century copy of the early encyclopedia De proprietatibus rerum. Both fragments from Book 5, on physiology; the text of the upper fragment begins at the end of Chapter 12, De auribus and continues into the beginning of Chapter 13, De naso; the text of the lower fragment begins at the end of Chapter 28, De manibus, and continues into the beginning of Chapter 29, De digitis. Probably written in France, in Gothic script, with each fragment presenting 2 columns of 40 lines (tops of leaves trimmed away) and with marginal headings intact. Upper pastedown decorated with 2 2-line initials in blue with red penwork, one each on recto and verso; lower pastedown decorated with 1 2-line initial in red, with penwork whose color is obscured by a stain; rubrics in red, paragraph marks alternating between blue and red, capitals in text and marginal headings touched with red. Now in a 16th-century binding of a printed edition of Johannes Herolt's Liber Discipuli de eruditione Christifidelium (Rouen, 1508?).
- Ms. codex.
Extent2 leaves : 205 x 190, 205 x 175 mm
- Formerly owned by English collector George Dunn, February 1907.
- Formerly owned by Duncan Beresford-Jones.
- Sold at auction at Christie, Manson & Woods, 29 November 2000, lot 12, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine, Medieval
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Physiology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- 13th century
- Science -- Medicine
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 395: Manuscript pastedowns from De proprietatibus rerum are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Front pastedown, Side 1
0343_0000.tif (36.4 MB)
0343_0000_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0343_0000_web.jpg (536.4 KB)
Front pastedown, Side 2
0343_0001.tif (26.1 MB)
0343_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
0343_0001_web.jpg (282.2 KB)
Back pastedown, Side 1
0343_0002.tif (26.1 MB)
0343_0002_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
0343_0002_web.jpg (229.9 KB)
Back pastedown, Side 2
0343_0003.tif (36.4 MB)
0343_0003_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
0343_0003_web.jpg (536.6 KB)