Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 405 Kitāb al-Siyāsah tasʹhīl al-naẓar wa-taʻjīl al-ẓafar
TitleKitāb al-Siyāsah tasʹhīl al-naẓar wa-taʻjīl al-ẓafar
- Māwardī, ʻAlī ibn Muḥammad, 974?-1058
Other related names
- Aga Khan, Sadruddin, Prince, 1933-, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 405
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4987381
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in northern Africa, probably in Egypt, in the mid-13th century.
- between 1240 and 1260?
Treatise in two chapters, one on the qualities of a good ruler and the other on the art of good government. Partial loss of seal impressions and marginal notes due to trimming.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent75 leaves : 225 x 160 (180 x 110) mm. bound to 225 x 170 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 75 + i; [1-75]; modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto, which is slightly out of sync with an earlier foliation in ink, upper left recto. Catchwords in a different hand, lower left verso.
BindingModern binding incorporating 19th-century north African covers.
- Formerly owned by Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan; sold at auction as part of his collection at Piasa (Paris), 7 June 1999.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Mar. 2001.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Kings and rulers--Duties
- Political science--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0251_0001.tif (73.5 MB)
0251_0001_thumb.jpg (8.1 KB)
0251_0001_web.jpg (491.1 KB)
0251_0004.tif (73.5 MB)
0251_0004_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
0251_0004_web.jpg (382.9 KB)
Section: Qualities of a good ruler, f. 1r
Fragment 2, Side 1
0251_0019.tif (10.8 MB)
0251_0019_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
0251_0019_web.jpg (149.2 KB)
Fragment 2, Side 2
0251_0020.tif (10.8 MB)
0251_0020_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
0251_0020_web.jpg (140.4 KB)
0251_0069.tif (73.5 MB)
0251_0069_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
0251_0069_web.jpg (305.9 KB)
Section: Art of good government, f. 31v
Inside back cover
0251_0160.tif (109.4 MB)
0251_0160_thumb.jpg (9.2 KB)
0251_0160_web.jpg (582.0 KB)