Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 416 Regulations for mills and bakeries
TitleRegulations for mills and bakeries
- Cruchon, Louis Cruchon, Louis
Other related names
- Tassel, Pierre, former owner
- Oliver, Raymond, 1909-1990, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 416
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5001566
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Official copies of regulations pertaining to mills and bakeries in Rouen from the 14th century up to 1518. The copies were made at the request of Pierre Tassel, overseer of the Rouen mills (fermier des moulins de la dit ville de Rouen), under the supervision of Louis (Loys) Cruchon, a member of the Rouen parliament, who signed the manuscript repeatedly (f. 9v, 13v, 16r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent26 leaves : 205 x 150 (134 x 94) mm. bound to 213 x 155 mm
CollationParchment, i + 28 + i; 1-2⁸ 3⁶ 4⁴; [1-28], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary morocco, blind-stamped, lacking spine and clasps.
4-line initial in red (f. 17r); 3-line calligraphic initial (f. 14r); 2-line initial with grotesque face in profile (f. 22r); one rubric in red (f. 10v); line-fillers in red and blue; initials touched with yellow wash.
- Formerly owned by Pierre Tassel (original owner, f. 9v, 13v, 16r) and French chef Raymond Oliver (label, front flyleaf).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 5 Dec. 1994, lot 87; handled by Simon Finch Rare Books (London) at some point between Sotheby's and Fogg.
- Sold by Sam Fogg Ltd. (London) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, April 2001.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Bakers--France--Early works to 1800
- Bread--France--Early works to 1800
- Weights and measures--France--Early works to 1800
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts, French--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- fol. 1r — Decorated initial, Initial A, f. 1r
- fol. 10v — Decorated initial, Initial E, f. 10v
- fol. 14r — Decorated initial, Initial D, f. 14r
- fol. 14r — Decorated initial, Initial S, f. 14r
- fol. 17r — Decorated initial, Initial A, f. 17r
- fol. 22r — Decorated initial, Initial I, Grotesque face, f. 22r
Inside front cover
0218_0001.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0001_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0218_0001_web.jpg (314.6 KB)
0218_0004.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0004_thumb.jpg (6.3 KB)
0218_0004_web.jpg (332.2 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial A, f. 1r
0218_0023.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0023_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
0218_0023_web.jpg (336.0 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial E, f. 10v
0218_0030.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0030_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0218_0030_web.jpg (320.6 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial D, f. 14r
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial S, f. 14r
0218_0036.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0036_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0218_0036_web.jpg (340.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial A, f. 17r
0218_0046.tif (67.6 MB)
0218_0046_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0218_0046_web.jpg (345.9 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial I, Grotesque face, f. 22r