Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 42 Bet Elohim
- Almosnino, Moses ben Baruch, ca. 1515-ca. 1580 Almosnino, Moses ben Baruch, ca. 1515-ca. 1580
Other related names
- Avigdor, Solomon ben Abraham, 1384-, translator
- Afia, Aharon, translator
- Luzio, Chaim, scribe
- Ashkenazi, Peretz ben Yehuda Mintz, former owner
- Kuzi, Yitzhak Nahum, former owner
Call numberLJS 42
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5797761
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Commentary on Solomon ben Abraham Avigdor's Hebrew translation of Joannes de Sacro Bosco's Sphaera mundi, followed by a commentary on a Hebrew translation, possibly by Almosnino himself, of Georg von Peurbach's Theoricae novae planetarum, with the assistance of Aharon Afia. This copy was made 5 years after the works were composed in 1546 (f. 168r). Almosnino's commentary on Sacro Bosco includes the earliest reference in Jewish literature to Amerigo Vespucci and America (f. 23v), among discussion of other geographical discoveries.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent162 leaves : 268 x 177 (198-208 x 122-135) mm. bound to 276 x 195 mm
FoliationPaper, vi (later paper) + 162 + i (later paper); 7-168, early foliation in ink, upper left recto.
BindingEarly (16th-century?) Greek blind-stamped goatskin over pasteboards; leaves from 19th-century Parisian publications pasted inside covers.
9 diagrams in color (f. 31v, 77v, 82v, 88r, 102v, 105v, 116r, 119r, 126v) and numerous diagrams in black ink, set in text; 4 tables (f. 44r, 47r, 48v, 54v) in black ink
- Originally owned by Peretz ben Yehuda Mintz Ashkenazi (colophons, f. 76r, 168r).
- Formerly owned by Yitzhak Nahum Kuzi, Damascus, 1902 (inscription, flyleaf).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (Jerusalem), 24 May 1987, lot 52.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 17 Dec. 1991, lot 47, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy, Medieval
- Jewish astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Planetary theory--Early works to 1800
- Tables (documents)
- Translations (documents)
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0277_0001.tif (39.2 MB)
0277_0001_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0277_0001_web.jpg (418.6 KB)