Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 421 Letter from Hippocrates to Caesar
TitleLetter from Hippocrates to Caesar
Other related names
- Barrois, Joseph, ca. 1785-1855 (former owner)
- Ashburnham, Bertram Ashburnham, Earl of, 1797-1878 (former owner)
Call numberLJS 421
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania., Rare Book & Manuscript Library Web)
- bibid: 4626305
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1350 and 1375?
Short collection of medical advice in prose, framed as sent by Hippocrates to Caesar, comprised of recipes followed by a guide to astronomical movements.
Extent24 leaves : 180 x 112 (126 x 83) mm. bound to 189 x 124 mm
FoliationParchment, 24 ; [1-24] ; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Binding19th-century brown calf, gilt framed, gilt lettering on spine.
LayoutWritten in 23-24 long lines ; ruled in ink; some prickings visible.
2-line initial in red with red filigraine infill and descender (f. 1r); 2-line initials and paragraph marks in red.
ScriptWritten in a Gothic book script.
- Formerly owned by Joseph Barrois; sold by Barrois to Bertram, fourth earl of Ashburnham (Ashburnham no. 239), 1849.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of the Ashburnham collection, 10 June 1901, lot 277; handled subsequently by J. & J. Leighton (London) and Messers. Berkelouw (Sydney).
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Chicago) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, Jul. 2001.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Medieval
- Traditional medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Manuscripts, French--14th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
Inside front cover
0211_0001.tif (48.8 MB)
0211_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
0211_0001_web.jpg (236.8 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, Inside front cover
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0211_0004.tif (48.8 MB)
0211_0004_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0211_0004_web.jpg (304.7 KB)
Decoration: Decorated initial, Initial D, f. 1r