Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 43 Qaṣāʼid
- Qāsim, Shah
Other related names
- Mignan, Robert, d. 1852, former owner
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
Call numberLJS 43
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5404317
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageArabic or Persian
- between 1575 and 1599
Collection in 4 sections of rubāʻīyāt (quatrains) and qaṣāʼid (lyric poems). Sparse marginalia, some in the text language and some later notes in English.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent258 leaves : 208 x 116 (132 x 68) mm. bound to 208 x 130 mm
Binding19th-century morocco with gilt corner and center medallions; upper cover detached.
3 illuminated headpieces (f. 1v, 198v, 221r), with space left blank for another (f. 203v); rubrication in red, ending in the second section (f. 2r-190v) except for a single rubricated page in the fourth section (f. 231r); text block framed by multiple ink lines and a narrow gold frame and divided by narrow gold lines, with the gold largely rubbed away on many leaves.
- Early ownership stamps (f. 1r).
- Formerly owned by Captain Robert Mignan, who commanded the escort for the East India Company's representative in Basra, Iraq, from 1826-1828; gift of Mignan to Sir Thomas Phillipps, 1829 (ms. 3932; note and stamp on front flyleaf, partial label on spine).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 25 November 1968, lot 258, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Arabic poetry--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Arabic--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0116_0001.tif (23.6 MB)
0116_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
0116_0001_web.jpg (202.0 KB)
0116_0004.tif (23.6 MB)
0116_0004_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0116_0004_web.jpg (257.6 KB)
Decoration: Owner stamp, f. 1r
0116_0005.tif (23.6 MB)
0116_0005_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0116_0005_web.jpg (222.9 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece, f. 1v
0116_0399.tif (23.6 MB)
0116_0399_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0116_0399_web.jpg (220.5 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece, f. 198v
0116_0444.tif (23.6 MB)
0116_0444_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0116_0444_web.jpg (208.7 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated headpiece, f. 221r