Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 45 Papyrus fragments from The book of the dead
TitlePapyrus fragments from The book of the dead
Other related names
- Bement, Clarence S. 1843-1923, former owner
- Martin, Robert Walsingham, 1871-1961, former owner
- Schoenberg, Lawrence J, former owner
Call numberLJS 45
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5005294
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 300 and 150 B.C
Nine illustrated fragments from a manuscript on papyrus of The book of the dead, a collection of spells and incantations buried with the dead to protect them in the afterlife. The fragments include text in hieratic script in black and red ink. All are worn, some almost completely worn away (f. 4r, 6r, 7r). The fragments are mounted in card (the embossed stamp in the corner of several mounts, with E.B. and a caduceus on a crowned shield surrounded by a scroll with the phrase Carton Bristol Francais seems to refer to the material of the mounts rather than a former owner).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent9 leaves : 59-81 x 59-143 mm. mounted and bound to 293 x 225 mm
BindingLate 19th-century morocco , blind and gilt tooled.
Illustrations on each fragment.
- Sold by Maggs Bros. to Clarence S. Bement (Philadelphia), 1907 (bookplate inside upper cover); sold at auction at Anderson Auction Company, New York, as part of Bement's collection, 28 Feb. 1923.
- Formerly owned by Robert Walsingham Martin (bookplate inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 18 June 1996, lot 60, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Funeral rites and ceremonies--Egypt
- Incantations, Egyptian
- Egyptian language--Papyri, Hieratic
- Manuscripts, Digital
Table of contents
- Fragment 1 — Man standing by an altar, apparently throwing a snake at a man with a lance; man on throne receiving gift from standing figure, Fragment 1
- Fragment 2 — Man with spear standing before children or other diminutive figures with woman behind him holding up a ritual object, Fragment 2
- Fragment 3 — Woman pouring water from a vase onto the upraised hands of a standing man, Fragment 3
- Fragment 4 — Bird, Fragment 4
- Fragment 5 — Standing figures with animal heads, Fragment 5
- Fragment 6 — Two figures, barely discernible, Fragment 6
- Fragment 7 — Indiscernible, Fragment 7
- Fragment 8 — Figure and vertical object, Fragment 8
- Fragment 9 — Isis and other standing figures, Fragment 9
- Bookplates — Bookplate
0324_0000.tif (26.4 MB)
0324_0000_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
0324_0000_web.jpg (327.1 KB)
Section: Man standing by an altar, apparently throwing a snake at a man with a lance; man on throne receiving gift from standing figure, Fragment 1
0324_0001.tif (20.7 MB)
0324_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
0324_0001_web.jpg (323.8 KB)
Section: Man with spear standing before children or other diminutive figures with woman behind him holding up a ritual object, Fragment 2
0324_0002.tif (18.4 MB)
0324_0002_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0324_0002_web.jpg (398.0 KB)
Section: Woman pouring water from a vase onto the upraised hands of a standing man, Fragment 3
0324_0003.tif (23.7 MB)
0324_0003_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
0324_0003_web.jpg (341.7 KB)
Section: Bird, Fragment 4
0324_0004.tif (10.4 MB)
0324_0004_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0324_0004_web.jpg (448.8 KB)
Section: Standing figures with animal heads, Fragment 5
0324_0005.tif (11.5 MB)
0324_0005_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
0324_0005_web.jpg (355.3 KB)
Section: Two figures, barely discernible, Fragment 6
0324_0006.tif (15.5 MB)
0324_0006_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0324_0006_web.jpg (487.5 KB)
Section: Indiscernible, Fragment 7
0324_0007.tif (14.7 MB)
0324_0007_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0324_0007_web.jpg (424.4 KB)
Section: Figure and vertical object, Fragment 8
0324_0008.tif (20.4 MB)
0324_0008_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
0324_0008_web.jpg (388.4 KB)
Section: Isis and other standing figures, Fragment 9