Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 451 Commentary on the Doctrinale puerorum
TitleCommentary on the Doctrinale puerorum
- Albert II, Duke of Austria, ca. 1298-1358
Other related names
- Seilern-Aspang, Oswald, Count, 1901-1967, former owner
Call numberLJS 451
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 4738506
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1279 and 1299
Anonymous commentary on a 12th-century didactic poem composed by the French Franciscan Alexander de Villa Dei addressing parts of speech, syntax, and rhetorical figures. Opening of a letter by Albert II, Duke of Austria, Styria, and Carinthia, transcribed in German by a later hand on last verso.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent60 leaves : 195 x 137 (168 x 120) mm. bound to 203 x 152 mm
CollationParchment, 60 ; 1¹⁰ 2¹⁰ (+11) 3-5¹⁰ 6¹⁰ (-5); gatherings 2-4 signed II-IIII in roman numerals in red ink, lower center of last verso.
Binding19th-century Germanic cloth-backed paper and boards.
4-line initial in red with extensions and flourishing in red and black (f. 1v); 3-line initials and paragraph marks in red throughout first 5 gatherings (f. 1v-51v); lemmata underlined in red through most of first 5 gatherings (f. 1v-48r). Spaces for initials to be added left blank in last gathering (f. 53v-60v).
- Formerly owned by Count Oswald von Seilern-Aspang (circular armorial bookplate inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Christie's, 26 March 2003, lot 4, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Latin language--Grammar--Early works to 1500
- Latin language--Syntax--Early works to 1800
- Latin language--Study and teaching--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
0245_0001.tif (60.0 MB)
0245_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0245_0001_web.jpg (298.6 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover