Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 468 Meḳitse nirdamim
- Alguadez, Meir ben Solomon, fl. 1390-1410
Other related names
- Joseph, ha-Kohen, 1496-1578, translator
- Rabbinovicz, Raphael Nathan Nata, 1835-1888, former owner
- Halberstam, S. J. 1832-1900, former owner
Call numberLJS 468
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5905810
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageHebrew and Latin
- after 1546
Collection of prescriptions from the 14th-century physician Meir ben Solomon Alguadez and one of his students, originally written in Spanish, in the Hebrew translation of Joseph ha-Kohen completed in 1546, also with Latin translations.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent109 leaves : 212 x 146 (131 x 80) mm. bound to 220 x 167 mm
FoliationPaper, 109; [1-3, 5-110], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords on many leaves, lower left verso.
Occasional elaborate manicules (f. 16v, 19r, 47r, 49v, 52v in text, 67r, 71v, 81v, 89v, 90v, 102v); small decorations in ink dots above headings (for example, f. 8r, 9r, 9v).
- Early ownership inscriptions: Abraham Nizza and Judah Trabot of Nizza (Nice, f. 1r); Israel Jeremiah, Kislev 5369 (1608-1609, f. 8r); brother of David Jona (f. 2r).
- Sold at auction as part of Raphael Nathan Nata Rabbinovicz's collection, Munich, March 1882, lot 36.
- Formerly owned by Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam (ms. 407, Montefiore label inside upper cover).
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 444 (label inside upper cover, Montefiore MS. 444; stamps, f. 8r, 105v).
- Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 329, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0076_0001.tif (30.2 MB)
0076_0001_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
0076_0001_web.jpg (209.9 KB)