Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 468 Meḳitse nirdamim
- Alguadez, Meir ben Solomon, fl. 1390-1410
Other related names
- Joseph, ha-Kohen, 1496-1578 (translator)
- Rabbinovicz, Raphael Nathan Nata, 1835-1888 (former owner)
- Halberstam, S. J. 1832-1900 (former owner)
Call numberLJS 468
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5905810
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageHebrew and Latin
- after 1546
Collection of prescriptions from the 14th-century physician Meir ben Solomon Alguadez and one of his students, originally written in Spanish, in the Hebrew translation of Joseph ha-Kohen completed in 1546, also with Latin translations.
Extent109 leaves : 212 x 146 (131 x 80) mm. bound to 220 x 167 mm
FoliationPaper, 109; [1-3, 5-110], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords on many leaves, lower left verso.
LayoutWritten in 26-27 long lines; frame-ruled in lead on versos only; prickings visible on most pages.
Occasional elaborate manicules (f. 16v, 19r, 47r, 49v, 52v in text, 67r, 71v, 81v, 89v, 90v, 102v); small decorations in ink dots above headings (for example, f. 8r, 9r, 9v).
ScriptHebrew written in Sephardic semi-cursive; Latin written in humanistic cursive.
- Early ownership inscriptions: Abraham Nizza and Judah Trabot of Nizza (Nice, f. 1r); Israel Jeremiah, Kislev 5369 (1608-1609, f. 8r); brother of David Jona (f. 2r).
- Sold at auction as part of Raphael Nathan Nata Rabbinovicz's collection, Munich, March 1882, lot 36.
- Formerly owned by Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam (ms. 407, Montefiore label inside upper cover).
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 444 (label inside upper cover, Montefiore MS. 444; stamps, f. 8r, 105v).
- Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 329, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0076_0001.tif (30.2 MB)
0076_0001_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
0076_0001_web.jpg (209.9 KB)