Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 469 Sefer ha-seder ha-ḳaṭan ... etc.
TitleSefer ha-seder ha-ḳaṭan ... etc.
- Avicenna, 980-1037
Other related names
- Halberstam, S. J. 1832-1900, former owner
Call numberLJS 469
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5452498
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1490
Copies of letters of the Finzi family (f. 1r-12v), including reference to Abraham Cohen or Abraham Arie ben Benjamin Portaleone, possibly also known as Abraham ben David Portaleone, a famous physician of Mantua; homiletical comments on the Biblical story of Joseph (f. 13r-14v); and an anonymous translation from Arabic into Hebrew of an abridgment of Avicenna's Qānūn fī al-ṭibb (Canon), which begins with a list of human limbs and their qualities and proceeds to the middle of the third chapter (f. 15r-19v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript from title supplied for predominant work.
Extent21 leaves : 140 x 108 (f. 1r-14v: 115 x 85 mm.; f. 15r-19v: 88 x 58 mm.) mm. bound to 150 x 113 mm
FoliationPaper, 21; [1-21]; modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto.
Binding19th-century marbled boards with cloth spine.
- Formerly owned by the Jewish scholar and collector S. J. Halberstam, no. 404 (number inscribed in ink, verso of front flyleaf, verso of second flyleaf after manuscript, and label on spine).
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), Ms. 468 (label inside upper cover).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 350, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2011.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Arab
- Medicine, Medieval
- Jews--Italy--History--15th century
- Translations (documents)
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0215_0001.tif (27.0 MB)
0215_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
0215_0001_web.jpg (211.1 KB)