Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 471 Medical manual and prescriptions ... etc.
TitleMedical manual and prescriptions ... etc.
- Gentilis Fulginas, -1348
- Dinus, de Garbo, -1327
- Alberti, Bernardo
Other related names
- Avigdor, Abraham, b. 1351 (translator)
Call numberLJS 471
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5918926
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1350-1499
Volume of 14th-century Latin medical works translated into Hebrew. The first work, a manual and collection of prescriptions attributed to Gentilis Fulginas, professor of medicine at Perugia and Padua, comprises over half the volume. Smaller works follow: Sefer Tsirurgia, part of Florentine physician Dinus del Garbo's De emplastris et unguentis; Mavo bi-melakhah, Abraham Avigdor's translation of Bernardo Alberti's Introductorium in practica pro provectis; and a small group of additional prescriptions titled Mafteaḥ ha-sodot. Prescriptions added by a later hand inside the original lower cover. Marginal section headings or numbers and occasional marginal notes.
Extent84 leaves : 220 x 150 (155 x 105) mm. bound to 230 x 165 mm
FoliationParchment and paper, i (contemporary parchment wrapper) + 84 + i (contemporary parchment wrapper); [1-84], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto.
BindingModern library cloth; former parchment wrapper bound within modern binding.
LayoutWritten in 32-30 long lines; lists at the end of the Avigdor translation of Alberti presented in 2 columns (f. 66r) and 3 columns (f. 66v-68v) of 35-36 lines.
ScriptWritten in Italian semi-cursive Hebrew script, by multiple hands.
- Formerly owned by the Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam, ms. 406 (inside former upper cover, f. 1r, Ha no. on Montefiore labels).
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 441 (library stamps, f. 1r, inside former lower cover; labels on spine, inside upper cover).
- Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 326, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Medicine--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Translations (documents)
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--14th century
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Table of contents
Inside front cover
0083_0001.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0001_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
0083_0001_web.jpg (213.6 KB)
Contemporary front cover
0083_0004.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0004_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
0083_0004_web.jpg (284.9 KB)
Contemporary inside front cover
0083_0005.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0005_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0083_0005_web.jpg (289.9 KB)
0083_0006.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0006_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
0083_0006_web.jpg (272.0 KB)
Section: Medical manual and prescriptions, f. 1r
0083_0112.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0112_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0083_0112_web.jpg (350.7 KB)
Section: Sefer Tsirurgia, f. 54r
0083_0142.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0142_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
0083_0142_web.jpg (361.9 KB)
Section: Mavo bi-melakhah, f. 69r
0083_0173.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0173_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0083_0173_web.jpg (404.9 KB)
Section: Mafteah? ha-sodot, f. 84v
Contemporary inside back cover
0083_0174.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0174_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
0083_0174_web.jpg (308.0 KB)
Contemporary back cover
0083_0175.tif (34.0 MB)
0083_0175_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0083_0175_web.jpg (318.5 KB)