Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 472 Ḥeshbon mahalkhot ha-kokhavim
TitleḤeshbon mahalkhot ha-kokhavim
- Abraham bar Hiyya Savasorda, ca. 1065-ca. 1136
Other related names
- Luzzatto, Samuel David, 1800-1865, former owner
- Halberstam, S. J. 1832-1900, former owner
- Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), former owner
Call numberLJS 472
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9958607923503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
15th-century copy of the second part of a 12th-century two-part treatise, on astronomy (the first part, not present in this manuscript, discussed geography). Includes computations for solar and lunar eclipses between 1135 and 1136. Numerous marginal notes were preserved when the manuscript was trimmed, leaving tabs that have been folded in.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent98 leaves : 197 x 135 (161 x 85) mm., not including folded note tabs, bound to 205 x 147 mm
FoliationPaper, iii (modern) + 2 (modern) + 94 + i (modern); [i-ii, 1-96], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Catchwords on each leaf, lower left verso.
BindingModern paper over boards.
- Formerly owned by Italian philologist, poet, and biblical exegete Samuel David Luzzatto.
- Acquired by the Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam from the estate of Samuel David Luzzatto, ms. 110.
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 422 (label inside lower cover, Montefiore MS. 422).
- Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 307, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Gift of Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle Schoenberg, 2015.
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Astronomy, Medieval
- Jewish astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- 15th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts LJS 472: Ḥeshbon mahalkhot ha-kokhavim are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
0322_0001.tif (27.2 MB)
0322_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
0322_0001_web.jpg (267.5 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
0322_0073.tif (887.4 KB)
0322_0073_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
0322_0073_web.jpg (26.6 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
0322_0074.tif (887.4 KB)
0322_0074_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
0322_0074_web.jpg (25.7 KB)