Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 494 Marʼeh ha-ofanim ... etc.
TitleMarʼeh ha-ofanim ... etc.
- Sacro Bosco, Joannes de, active 1230
Other related names
- Avigdor, Solomon ben Abraham, 1384-, translator
- Tibon, Yehudah ibn, approximately 1120-approximately 1190, attributed name
- Finzi, Mazliah, former owner
- Halberstam, S. J. 1832-1900, former owner
Call numberLJS 494
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5963091
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1425 and 1450
Hebrew translation of a fundamental treatise on medieval astronomy and cosmology that describes and illustrates the Ptolemaic model of a spherical earth divided into climactic zones at the center of the concentric spheres of the universe. Followed by Ruaḥ ha-ḥen, a 13th-century philosophical work that was a popular introduction to science, here attributed to Yehudah ibn Tibon. It has also been attributed to Jacob ben Abba Mari ben Samson Anatoli and Zeraḥyah ha-Yeṿani. Occasional marginal notes. Final page contains Hebrew notes and pen trials by various hands (f. 22v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkBriquet Tête de boeuf à yeux 14871 (Brescia, 1434-1445).
Extent22 leaves : 209 x 151 (143 x 104) mm. bound to 220 x 186 mm
FoliationPaper, iii (modern) + 22 + xxxv (modern); 1¹² 2¹⁰; [1-22], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto.
Binding20th-century half morocco over cloth; gatherings sewn on stubs.
3 astronomical diagrams (f. 1v, 2v, 10r); occasional manicules (f. 9v, 13r).
- Possible ownership inscription: Mazliah Finzi (possibly Mazliah ben Zacharias Finzi of Parma, f. 22v).
- Formerly owned by Polish scholar and bibliophile S. J. Halberstam (ms. 244, Montefiore label inside upper cover; number in pencil, f. 1r).
- Sold as part of Halberstam's library to Judith Montefiore College (Ramsgate, England), after 1887, ms. 424 (label inside upper cover, Montefiore MS. 424; gilt number on spine; stamps, f. 1r, 22v; number in pencil, f. 1r).
- Placed on deposit at Jews' College (London) as part of the Montefiore Endowment, 1899.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York) as part of a collection of manuscripts from the Montefiore Endowment, 27 Oct. 2004, lot 309.
- Sold by Les Enluminures (Paris and Chicago) to Lawrence J. Schoenberg, August 2008.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2013.
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Cosmography--Early works to 1800
- Jewish philosophy--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0034_0001.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
0034_0001_web.jpg (303.0 KB)
0034_0008.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0008_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0034_0008_web.jpg (370.8 KB)
Decoration: Stamp, f. 1r
0034_0009.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0009_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0034_0009_web.jpg (430.9 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 1v
0034_0011.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0011_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
0034_0011_web.jpg (408.0 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 2v
0034_0025.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0025_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0034_0025_web.jpg (421.9 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 9v
0034_0026.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0026_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
0034_0026_web.jpg (362.9 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, f. 10r
0034_0032.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0032_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0034_0032_web.jpg (370.7 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 13r
0034_0051.tif (38.8 MB)
0034_0051_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
0034_0051_web.jpg (388.5 KB)
Decoration: Stamp, f. 22v