Collection ID: 0001 | Metadata type: TEI
LJS 496 Treatise on practical mathematical calculation
TitleTreatise on practical mathematical calculation
Call numberLJS 496
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 5762648
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1475 and 1499
Beginning of a survey of practical applications of mathematics (abacho), algebra (alghorismo), and geometry (fighura) for commercial purposes such as banking or trade, in a larger format than most commercial mathematical manuscripts; missing leaves at end. Spaces left for initials ranging from 3 to 8 lines in height.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Incipit: [I]l volere sapere il prosimo di ciaschuno auto sanza danno ... (f. 1r; first omitted initial and first word uncertain).
WatermarkSimilar to Briquet Aigle 81-90 (Tuscany, 1475-1507).
Extent10 leaves : 415 x 290 (270 x 180) mm. bound to 420 x 300 mm
FoliationPaper, 10; [1-10], modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Single vertical catchword (f. 9v).
Binding19th-century marbled pasteboard with parchment spine and pastedowns of printed leaves from a 19th-century archaeological work.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 6 Jul. 2010, lot 28, to Lawrence J. Schoenberg.
- Deposit by Lawrence J. Schoenberg and Barbara Brizdle, 2012.
- Arithmetic--Early works to 1900
- Mathematics--Early works to 1800
- Banks and banking--Italy
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0020_0001.tif (104.4 MB)
0020_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
0020_0001_web.jpg (365.7 KB)
Decoration: Reused printed leaf, Inside front cover
Inside back cover
0020_0022.tif (104.4 MB)
0020_0022_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0020_0022_web.jpg (325.1 KB)
Decoration: Reused printed leaf, Inside back cover